LUSA 08/21/2026

Lusa - Business News - Portugal: Government again denies any social security reform

Lisbon, Aug. 20, 2026 (Lusa) - Portugal's government on Thursday once again stated that it would not be pursuing any structural reform of the social security system during this parliamentary term, stating that it is «a closed matter» and urging the Portuguese public «to remain calm».

The minister of cabinet affairs made a point of saying this assurance even before the press conference following the weekly cabinet meeting began.

«Before talking about what we have decided, I wanted to mention something we will not be deciding on: carrying out a structural reform of the social security system,» said António Leitão Amaro.

This reaction follows the report «Reforming Pensions in Portugal – Towards a Sustainable, Adequate and Fair System – a Contract between Generations», presented by the working group that the Government set up to «propose measures aimed at reforming the social security system».

According to the minister, this study serves «to enable the whole country» to analyse the issue, and he described it as «yet another serious and in-depth contribution», recalling that the previous PS government had also commissioned a Green Paper on the subject.

«I would point out that the prime minister has said he would resign if he had to cut pensions: current and future pensions are, and will continue to be, protected; there is no point in frightening the Portuguese public with this,» he said.

Leitão Amaro also gave assurances that, «if ever» the government's review were to result in decisions regarding social security, these would be «presented in advance in the context of an election campaign» – which he expects will not take place until 2029.

The minister of cabinet affairs acknowledged that, based on this study, it can be concluded that there are «uncovered liabilities» in the Caixa Geral de Aposentações system, but he emphasised that the government will take no measures during this parliamentary term, saying it was positive that this information was being put forward for public consideration.

When asked whether the government would acknowledge following some of the recommendations put forward by the study, Leitão Amaro did not rule out the possibility of «ancillary measures» in the tax sphere relating to savings instruments, but pointed out that this had already been proposed in the Green Paper commissioned by the PS-led government.

Leitão Amaro accused the opposition parties of seeking, on the basis of this study, to draw far-reaching conclusions and «scare the Portuguese people», stating that the government rejects both «bogeymen and disruptions to the pension system», directly targeting Chega and its proposal to lower the retirement age.

«Chega knew that this proposal jeopardises pensions, if not today, then in the near future. It did not want to admit it, but everyone familiar with the system knows that this was the consequence, and we have not accepted it nor will we accept it,» he said.

«No bogeymen, no disruption to the pension system. Whether they stem from the proposals of some or the fabrications of others: the Portuguese can rest assured; they are better informed; we have more material for public debate and collective reflection so that decisions can be made when the time comes,» he said.

In response to questions from journalists, Leitão Amaro maintained that the government is assessing the possibility of repeating, this year, the payment of an extraordinary supplement to pensioners on the lowest incomes, and he emphasised that the decision is separate from the study that has now come to light.

«If there were any link at all, it is that this one-off supplement and the approach we have been using are the most sustainable, because we pay it out annually, depending on budgetary capacity, without creating contingent liabilities for the future,» he said.

SMA/ADB // ADB.

Lusa