Sports Minister Andrea Abodi said Wednesday that, after Naples hosts the 2027 America's Cup, the city is also aiming to hold the subsequent edition of sailing's most prestigious competition, the oldest sporting contest in the world.
Speaking at an ANSA Forum, Abodi said the transformation Naples' seaside Bagnoli district is undergoing as it is being redeveloped for the event was encouraging the city to seek to have the event a second time.
"With Bagnoli, we have discovered a side of the city that had been left hanging suspended," the minister told told the forum.
"What has been achieved in such a short time, after 30 years of waiting, is a prime example of how public responsibility can be applied to quickly resolve critical situations.
"This interlude has broken a spell.
"We hope it will last and continue over time.
"We have two options (to keep the event in Naples): either convince them (the champions) or win with (Prada-backed Italian team) Luna Rossa.
"In any case, the citizens of Bagnoli should know that our goal is to give the venue fully back to the city".
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA